Friday, August 17, 2007

Geeky Quotes

UNIX is simple. But It just needs a genius to understand its simplicity.
--Dennis Ritchie

Before software can be reusable, it first has to be usable.
--Ralph Johnson

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
--Fred Brooks

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work.
Practice is when something works, but you don't know why it works.
Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't
know why.

It's hard enough to find an error in your code when you're looking for it;
it's even harder when you've assumed your code is error-free.
-Steve McConnell Code Complete

If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the
first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.
-Gerald Weinberg

The Six Phases of a Project:
Enthusiasm
Disillusionment
Panic
Search for the Guilty
Punishment of the Innocent
Praise for non-participants

Good code is its own best documentation. As you're about to add a comment,
ask yourself, 'How can I improve the code so that this comment isn't
needed?'
Improve the code and then document it to make it even clearer.
--Steve McConnell Code Complete

No matter how slick (efficient) the demo is in rehearsal,
when you do it in front of a live audience
the probability of a flawless presentation
is inversely proportional to the number of people watching,
raised to the power of the amount of money involved.

One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of
their C programs.
--Robert Firth

Fifty years of programming language research and we end up with C++?
--Richard A. O'Keefe

C programmers never die. They are just cast into void.

If debugging is the process of removing bugs,
then programming must be the process of putting them in.
--Edsger Dijkstra

You can either have software quality or you can have pointer arithmetic;
you cannot have both at the same time.
--(Bertrand Meyer)


(Thoughtful Ones...)

There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third works.
--Alan J. Perlis

Measuring programming progress by lines of code is like measuring
aircraft building progress by weight.
--Bill Gates

The first 90% of the code accounts for the first 90% of the development
time.
The remaining 10% of the code accounts for the other 90% of the
development time.
--Tom Cargill


Programmers are in a race with the Universe to create bigger and better
idiot-proof programs
The Universe is trying to create bigger and better idiots.
So far the Universe is winning.
--Anon

No comments: